Since forming in March 2018, the Equity Committee created and started working on two important goals for our community:
- Increase the participation of womxn in LA ultimate
- Improve the climate of LA ultimate for all (try to make it more inclusive).
With these goals in mind, there are a lot of activities we’ve organized, engaged in, and helped with. These are some (but not all) of those things that roughly fall into each goal, although some certainly overlap:
Goal 1 (increasing participation)
- Started monthly womxn’s pick-up for all levels of players.
- Threw a beach womxn’s hat tournament.
- Increased college outreach to involve younger womxn.
- Set up Summer and Winter Leagues so that there is at least one womxn captain on each team.
Goal 2 (improving the climate)
- Created and published a community Equity Statement.
- Organized a Community Equity Event for over 50 people in LA ultimate.
- Shared information with LAOUT League team captains about how to better involve womxn.
- Created and implemented a Summer League survey for womxn to understand their experience and make enhancements.
- Increased the number of womxn serving in leadership positions in our community on the LAOUT Board of Directors.
These activities (and more!) would NOT have been possible without the incredible participation of womxn and men in our ultimate community. Do you have ideas for more activities that will help us reach our goals? How can we be more inclusive of womxn and other folks who are underrepresented in our community? We would love your help and your input. You can join one of our regular meetings or email us at email@example.com.
Equity Community Highlights:
Have you seen this article that two of our community members wrote? Stephanie (Rigby) Pritchard and Ronnie Eder wrote about their experiences playing on the men’s AUDL team, the Los Angeles Aviators.
Have you seen this article that Stephanie Hicks wrote? Apparently, there’s a theme in our community of incredibly smart, articulate bad-asses named Stephanie…