What is Summer League?
Summer League is a draft league organized by the Los Angeles Organization of Ultimate Teams (LAOUT). This is LAOUT’s 22nd year organizing a draft league.
Does Summer League have a theme this year?
Of course, because I love themes. This year’s theme is Summer of Thrones, based of course on the famously popular HBO show that I’ve only seen the first season of, but I know it’s well loved by many of you, so you’re welcome. Many teams will be based on the great houses, but there’s so many great things to pull from including the Night’s Watch, the White Walkers, the Dothraki, and so on.
Who can play in Summer league?
Summer League is open to Ultimate players of all skill levels who mostly live in the greater Los Angeles area. Note: this used to be known as “beginner friendly” but I’ve heard from many beginners who have said that after playing their first season, they wouldn’t call it beginner friendly. It’s intended to be beginner friendly, so if you’re a beginner interested in the league, feel free to email me to discuss your interest.
- Thursday, April 18 – registration opens
- Friday, May 10 – early (CHEAPER) registration ends. (Note, if you’re a male wanting to play Mixed, you MUST get your registration in by this time.)
- Sunday, May 12 – Mixed Lottery to determine which males make it into the Mixed division.
- Monday, May 20 – Registration extension date (costs more money because it makes my life harder when you’re late)
- Tuesday, May 28 – Mixed Summer League draft (If you wish to captain, either yourself or your co-captain needs to be able to make it on this date.)
- Wednesday, May 29 – Men’s Summer League draft (If you wish to captain, either yourself or your co-captain needs to be able to make it on this date.)
- Saturday, June 1 – Potential pre-season beach event.
- Monday, June 3 – League starts
- Saturday, August 10 – Tournament at Silverlake Sports Complex in Corona, CA
When and where is Summer League played?
The 10 week season begins Monday, June 3 and ends Thursday, August 8. Games are played Monday – Friday nights, 8:00 – 10:00. We’re working on booking the fields, but likely to be at the same locations as last year in including Rancho Cienega in Mid-City, Culver City High School and Sepulveda Basin in Encino.
How do I register?
Go to the Summer League Registration page (click REGISTER on the left). Fill it out and pay either on-line or send a check in the amount of $69, made out to LAOUT, to the address listed on the form. Your registration must be completed and payment must be received by Friday, May 10 at 6:00pm in order to avoid late fees and be eligible for the Mixed Division. All players in both leagues will receive discs and jerseys. (Note: late registration closes Monday, May 20 at midnight and will cost $10 more, so make sure to register on time.) If you are a LAOUT A-List Member you get that sweet 10% off; and of course if you’re a Star or Legend Member your registration is free, provided that you register by May 10th at 6:00pm…otherwise you pay the $10 late fee.
Special Registration rates:
- If you are a U24 Member, you get an extra $5 off! Encourage all of your friends to join!
- If you have a SCYU Gold Pass, you get an additional $5 off!
- If you are a female who’s new to Ultimate, use the coupon code STRONGWOMXN for a discount on your LAOUT Membership and Summer League Registration Fee.
- If you are a male who’s new to Ultimate, use the coupon code STRONGMAN for a discount on your LAOUT Membership and Summer League Registration Fee.
What are the rules for gender ratio?
All Mixed games will be 6 on 6, NOT 7 on 7 as you’re used to. This is intended to create equal gender ratios for all points. Also of note, we’re an inclusive league. All players are welcome to play as the gender you identify with.
Most of the Mixed games will be played at Rancho Cienega and Sepulveda Basin where we fit two narrow fields, which should work quite well for the 6 on 6 game. For now, the length of the field will stay 70 yards long with 20 yard end zones, as per normal since most of us don’t have a lot of experience with 6 on 6. After a few weeks, we’ll see if adjustments need to be made to the field length.
For the Men’s games, it will be 7 on 7.
What if I missed the deadline and still want to play?
Any players who sign up late – after the draft – can ONLY be added to teams to replace injured players, or players who drop out. Think of it as a crowded bar on Sunset. You can’t get in until someone else leaves. Players may only be added to teams with the consent of the Commissioner. Don’t just add ringers on your own.
Do I need to be a USAU member to play?
No. There hasn’t been a USAU requirement in LAOUT leagues for years now.
Can I baggage with other players?
Yes, but this year we’re going back to the maximum of two person baggages. However, if you NEED to have a third or fourth person in your baggage, contact me to let me know why. Here’s exceptions to the two person baggage that I’ll accept:
- Carpool reasons. Be specific. Generally it should only be for long distance carpools. Not just because you really want to play with friends.
- Two of you are a couple but one of you would like to include their roommate.
- Bringing in a new player
When and where is the tournament?
The Tournament will be on Saturday, August 10 at the SilverLakes Sports Complex in Corona, CA
Summer League has pre-game spirit circles. Teams are encouraged to huddle together before the opening pull to meet each other, and remind everyone that this is a beginner-friendly league, and not meant to be ultra-competitive. And to wish the other team good luck. This is semi-mandatory. Meaning you don’t absolutely have to do it, but you really should do it.
Field/Game Rules for Summer League Can Be Found HERE
What if I have other questions?
Contact the Summer League Commissioner, Andy Bandit, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at email@example.com.
June 6, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Am I the only one that would like to see the schedule for both leagues? When I click on Schedule it takes me to the Men’s league, which I’m in. But sometimes during the days in the office I fantasize about Mixed too.